Super Bean Veggie Chili
This veggie chilli is easy to make and uses beans for protein. I am not adverse to using a good quality meat-substitute, and my other veggie chilli uses soya protein, but plant-based purist are against such substitutes. If you can tolerate beans, then I think this is a great recipe and the best bit is that Izzy loves it! Isabelle will eat this chilli with either avocado or cheese on the side. If I do it with rice on the side, it is always left. There is also enough carbohydrate in the beans and vegetables so she is not missing out on a food group. It goes well with something creamy, like avocado, humus or cheese and I would have it with a side salad. It is also great as a side with Chilli Salmon or even with an egg or tofu if you want more protein.
- 1 large red onion (or white if you prefer or only have)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sticks celery, chopped into small pieces
- 1 red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 3 gloves garlic
- 250 g mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 250 mil water
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp date syrup (I am sure you could use brown sugar or even maple syrup if you don't have date syrup)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tin red kidney beans in mild chilli sauce
- 1 tin black beans (drained and rinsed)
- black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (I use a heaped tsp if just me, use less if you don't like it hot, you can always add more at the end)
- 1 tsp (heaped) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (heaped) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder blend (blend of chilli, cumin, garlic, oregano) (optional and again, maybe try first before adding in case it is already spicy enough for you)
- Peel and finely chop the red onion. Finely chop the celery. Cut the pepper into small chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic and crush the garlic gloves, stir and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes, stiring regularly. Add the celery and red pepper, mix and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Stir and simmer for 5 -10 minutes until the sauce is thicker.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook until at the right thickness, it does not take long.
- Serve with any of the following: mixed salad, green vegetables, brown rice, sweet potato, jacket potato, wedges. It also is lovely with some chunks of grilled halloumi, mozzarella or any cheese you like, or avocado or humus. Enjoy!