The Full Vegetarian
I love a full vegetarian cooked breakfast or brunch at the weekend! It feels really indulgent but it's really healthy and nutritious and perfect for these cooler winter weekends! It also ticks all the boxes - protein, good fats, half plate of veggies!
- 2 eggs (poached or lightly fried) (I am useless at poaching eggs fyi, so they usually get cooked over a low heat with a little oil. My Chinese doctor told me to only cook them on a low heat, so no real "frying").
- 2 Portobello or large flat mushrooms
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 smashed avocado
- 1-2 cup spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup baked beans (optional)
- 1 vegetarian sausage (optional) (there are some really good vegetarian sausages available, and it does add some extra flavour to the whole breakfast).
- a little oil for cooking the eggs (f not poaching), mushrooms, and for wilting the spinach
- Place a little oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the veggie sausage if using for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms (sometimes I add a couple of sprigs of rosemary to the pan just to add some flavour). Cut the tomato in half and add to the pan. Turn after a minute or two or once starts to go golden. Once everything is cooked place to one side, or in the oven on a plate, on a very low heat to keep warm.Poach the eggs if you can!! If you can't, just add a little olive oil to the frying pan and crack in your egg and cook them on a low heat so they don't "fry" but just gently cook.
- Mash the avocado and add to the plate. Warm the baked beans up and add. Place the eggs on the plate and lightly wilt the spinach in the frying pan and add to the plate. Season and enjoy!