I love spice and I like a hot curry so this is definitely one of my favourites! Izzy will always try it but finds it too hot. I like the fact that is has everything you need in one pot; protein, vegetables and carbs and you can jazz it up too! If ever I feel like I am coming down with a cold or feeling a little bunged up, this curry always makes me feel better! I actually think I am addicted to chilli and apparently this is because your body releases endorphins when you eat chilli – it’s to do with the heat-pain!
Spicy One Pot Curry
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 onion, chopped into small pieces)
- 1 glove of garlic, chopped (optional)
- 3 cm chopped fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 large courgette, chopped into chunks
- 1 red pepper, chopped into chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into small chunks
- 1 block (280g) Tofu, chopped into chunks I like the Tofoo brand as you don't need to drain it. You can substitute with chicken or even chick peas if you prefer.
- 1/3 jar madras paste (use 1/4 jar if you like less spice)
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 block creamed coconut (roughly 50-75g, but if you like a creamier curry use more)
- 100 g baby leaf spinach (optional)
- handful of chopped coriander (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the garlic and ginger if using. Add the sweet potato chunks and the madras paste and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the rest of the vegetables to the pan, bring to the boil and then simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes. Add the chopped tofu and cook for a further 10 minutes. Everything should now be cooked and simply wilt in the spinach. If you stir the spinach into the curry it should just wilt from the heat of the curry.
- I like to have it just as it is in a bowl with some chopped coriander on top. Sometimes I will add extra vegetables such as green beans or tender stem broccoli and microwave a poppadum to have with it too.