I made this recipe up as I love the taste of a Bakewell Tart but find them too sweet. I am also conscious that I need to feed my body with as much goodness as possible so I try to avoid empty calories where I can or want to.
Healthy Bakewell Flapjacks
- 200 grams Oats
- 2 tbsp Vegan Spread/Butter/Flora/Oil
- 1 tbsp Almond Butter
- 60 grams Ground Almonds
- 1 tbsp Golden Lindseed
- 2 tbsp Honey or any sweetner of choice (Helps to bind and sweeten)
- 60 grams Chopped Almonds (Optional)
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 large handful Raspberries If frozen, defrost and omit juice
- 2 tsp (heaped) Raspberry conserve Or rasoberry jam
- 80 grams Sultanas You can omit the sultanas and works well without. I soak the sultanas in a little boiing water to make them plum and juicey, it also stops the flapjacks being dry. Use the liquid too. Totally optional.
- 1-2 tsp Almond Essense I love cherry bakewell flavour so I use 2 tsp but try with one first or taste mixture before adding second.
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Soak sultanas in a little water if you are doing that option. Simply mix all the ingredients together except the raspberries and jam/conserve. Divide the mixture in half place and place half onto greaseproof paper or baking parchment on a baking try or in a medium size dish. Press down and level with a fork to make a base.
- Press the raspberries over the base then spread the jam or conserve over the raspberries. Then spread the rest of the oat mixture over the top. Press down gently with a fork.
- You can sprinkle seeds on top if you wish (like sunflower or linseed)
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Cut them into any size pieces you like.
Vegan spread – use any oil/ marg/butter/fat of your choice (just choose something that does not have a strong flavour).
Sultanas – omit as not necessary or could use chopped dates or raisins.
Ground almonds – chopped whole almonds