Express: Spiced Lentil, Mushroom & Tofu Salad
I have started creating a range of "express" recipes for you, to show how quickly and easily, nutritious, healthy and tasty food can be made. As you know, I run my own business and am a single Mum so time is everything. I want to eat healthily, but recipes need to be quick and realistic. I am also not a fan of shopping, so I like to make things up with store cupboard ingredients. This recipe uses a packet of Whitworths Protein By Nature, Indian Lentil Dhal. There are lots of other brands that do similar versions. I use these as a base and make it tastier, satisfying and more nutritious by adding extra goodness to it. Feel free to be inventive and just use this as inspiration. It literally took 5 mins from start to plate.
- 1 pack Whitworths Protein By Nature, Indian Lentil Dhal
- 2 tsp soya sauce (optional)
- 2 tsp oil of choice
- 2 large mushrooms, chopped up into small pieces (if you have single ones, use 4-8)
- 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen spinach (defrosted)
- 1/3 pack tofu (I use the Tofoo brand as you don't need to drain it)
- 1 tsp (heaped) ground coriander (optional for extra flavour)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (optional for extra flavour)
- 1 red chilli (optional)
- In a frying pan, heat the oil, add the chopped mushrooms and spices, soya sauce, stir fry quickly to soften. Add the tinned tomatoes, spinach, tofu and lentils from the packet. Stir on a high heat to heat through.
- Divide between two bowls and serve. Enjoy!