Eggs & Smashed Veggies on Toast
This is one of my go-tos for a quick, delicious and nutritious breakfast or brunch that will keep me full for hours. If I am really hungry, I will have two eggs. It is great for a post work-out refuel and it contains the ingredients you need to repair and build muscle, plus lots of nutrients and fibre from the veggies.You can also totally mix up your combinations depending on what you have in the fridge. I don't eat much bread, but when I do, I try to eat bread that is as natural as possible and does not have any unrecognisable ingredients. Some brands of sour dough are good, plus soda bread... read the labels of shop bought bread. Or take the view that all things in moderation are fine and balance it out with lots of veggies and good stuff.
- 1-2 eggs
- 1 slice of toast
- 1/2 avocado OR
- 1-2 tbsp hummus
- 2-3 tbsp crushed cooked peas
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- baby plum tomatoes (or whatever tomatoes you have)
- chilli flakes (optional)
- drizzle of balsamic syrup (optional)
- little extra virgin olive oil
- Place toast in toaster. Bring a small pan with a little water to the boil, add peas and bring back to boil and then drain. Smash the peas up and season.
- In a small frying pan, place a little oil and gently wilt the spinach. Once cooked place to one side and then add a little more oil to the frying pan and gently cook your egg(s) on a low heat.
- Place toast on a plate, spread the avocado or hummus depending on what you are using. Spread the smashed peas on top. Add the wilted spinach, then add the egg. Season everything, add chilli if using. Dress with the chopped tomatoes and some balsamic syrup and enjoy!