Banana Porridge with Cinnamon, Apple & Mixed Seeds
- 100 g porridge oats
- 1 banana (ripe)
- 400 ml milk or water (I use soya or almond milk) (adding your choice of milk also boosts the vitamin and nutrient content)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 small apple (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 tsp golden flaxseeds
- 1 tsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp sunflower seeds
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
- In a saucepan, mash the banana and add the oats and milk or water (pinch of salt if using) and place over a medium heat to bring to the boil. Once it bubbles, stir with a wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and divide the porridge between 2 bowls.
- For the topping, add the apple, sprinkle of cinnamon, and seeds. Enjoy.
For anyone who is on my Shape Up Plan or is trying to lose weight, try substituting 25% of the oats in the recipe for oatbran, which has less carbs and more fibre. See how your body responds to the extra fibre first before increasing the amount of oat bran. You need to give your gut time to adjust to a higher fibre diet to avoid being bloated.